Araras Pantanal Eco Lodge
The Araras Pantanal Eco Lodge is the most popular lodge in the Pantanal and offers an array of activities. It’s easily accessible year-round and is cocooned by a network of waterways.
Araras Pantanal Eco Lodge Highlights
The Araras Pantanal Eco Lodge is located in the heart of the sprawling wildlife haven of the Pantanal, the largest floodplain in the world. This eco lodge is set in a prime area in the midst of the Pantanal and blends in seamlessly with its environment. The biodiversity is outstanding, and many species of bird, reptile and mammal can be spotted on the grounds of the lodge. There is year round access to the Araras Pantanal Eco Lodge, a sustainable lodge that echoes the sentiments of its natural surrounds.
In total, there are 19 suites with a choice of double, twin and family rooms. Each room is fully-equipped for the jungle environment, which means bug spray, ceiling fans and mosquito nets come standard in each room. Private porch areas adorned with hammocks and welcoming armchairs provide a private place for relaxation. Common areas house a swimming pool, souvenir shop, restaurant and reading room.
The grounds around the lodge are something to behold. Suspended walkways meander their way over the wetlands, providing excellent birdwatching opportunities. Completely cocooned by a network of waterways and swamps, Araras Pantanal Eco Lodge is an absolute refuge for wildlife. To further enhance the wildlife experience, the lodge has built 3 unique observation towers.
Canoeing on the surrounding waterways, guided walks in the forests, jeep safaris to find jaguars, night excursions, horseback trails, photos safaris and wildlife lectures are just of the few of the activities you can enjoy while staying at this much loved resort.
- 3 hours away from the capital of Mato Grosso, in the northern Pantanal.
- Each of the rooms come complete with porches and hammocks.
- There’s a friendly blue macaw residing on the property.
- The 3 observation towers overlook different areas of the Pantanal where it’s quite possible to spot wildlife like the South American coati, Azara’s agouti and brown capuchin monkeys.
- The popular jaguar season in this area of the Pantanal is from June - mid November.
- Suspended walkways over wetland areas provide ample opportunity for birdwatching.
- Herd of Pantaneiro horses on the property.
- A huge choice of nature activities on offer.
- Join the night safaris to seek out jaguars.
- Permanent assistance from nature guides. The owner, Andre, is an experienced guide and offers a personalised experience at the lodge.
- Catch and release fishing of piranhas.
- Restaurant and bar on site has an extensive menu and wide variety of drinks.
- Morning boat excursions along the river, complete with a riverside lunch on the Rio Claro.
Araras Pantanal Eco Lodge Activities
The Pantanal is rich with wildlife, offering a complete diversity of flora and fauna. The best way to see the array of fruit, flower and tree species is on foot. There are daily walking tours on one of the several trails crisscrossing across the surrounds. These environmental trekking trails are accompanied by qualified guides who will teach you about the area.
Horseback riding in the Pantanal is the perfect way to see contrasting environments and flooded areas inaccessible by jeep.
There are 3 observation towers, each differing in height (11m, 13m and 25m). The towers offer panoramic views of the Pantanal landscape, where it’s quite possible to spot an array of primates and rare birdlife.
The waterways are best explored by canoe and ideal if you are wanting to spot giant river otters, caiman and the rare Agami heron. The riparian vegetation plays host to an array of species of wildlife, which is best spotted while meandering along in a canoe.
Jeep safaris take place at night - they provided an opportunity to view nocturnal prey. Jaguars are only really spotted June to mid –November.
In addition to the above tours, there are also photo safaris and wildlife lectures held on site.