Rovos Rails offers one of the worlds most luxurious train travel experiences. Explore Cape Town, Victoria Falls, Dar es Salaam and more on a variety of exception train trips, all in the luxury of a bygone era.
Rovos Rail Highlights
The Rovos Rail is known as the world's most luxurious train. It offers aa world class train travel experience through the heart of Southern Africa, with destinations including Cape Town, Victoria Falls, Etosha National Park, Dar Es Salaam and more. The journey offers visitors the ideal way to see the beautiful South Africa. The Pretoria to Victoria Falls Route includes game viewing in Hwange National Park and the newly launched Copper Belt tour goes through the incredible scenery of Zambia and Angola. The beautifully rebuilt trains, carry a maximum of 72 passengers in 36 superbly appointed suites.
- General make-up of the train Locomotive, generator car, staff car, guest sleepers, a non-smoking lounge car , two non-smoking dining cars (if required, plenty of space for the maximum of 72 guests carried), kitchen car, guest sleepers, smoking lounge and Observation Car at the tail.
- The beautifully rebuilt trains, which may be hauled by diesel or electric locomotives, carry a maximum of 72 passengers in 36 superbly appointed suites
- Cuisine Meals are served in one sitting only in the charming Victorian atmosphere of the dining cars and are complemented by a selection of fine South African wines. An enthusiastic team of chefs is responsible for overseeing the very important task of ensuring guests’ every need is catered for. There’s an accent on fresh local ingredients and traditional dishes such as game are a specialty. Breakfast is between 07h00 and 10h00, lunch at 13h00, tea at 16h30 and a formal dinner at 19h30. A gong heralds lunch and dinner.
- Dress For days on the train dress is smart casual. Evening attire is more formal – for the gentlemen a jacket and tie is a minimum requirement while for ladies we suggest cocktail/evening dresses or suits. Please include warm clothing for cold mornings and evenings.
- Mobile Devices and Internet In maintaining the spirit of travel of a bygone era, there are no radios or television sets on board. The use of mobile phones, laptops and essentially anything that has the ability to disturb other passengers is confined to the privacy of your suites only.
Rovos Rail Accommodation
The Rovos Rail offers world class luxury and style; two beautifully restored Classic trains, each catering for a maximum of 72 passengers. The Rovos Rail offers the most spacious and luxurious train suites in the world. The train offers a Victorian-feel of a bygone era where lords and ladies dined in style. Traditional décor and furnishings enhance the atmosphere of elegance and grandeur in the Dining, Lounge and Observation cars. The train offers Edwardian features and wood panelling; the air-conditioned suites accommodate two people offering the option of twin or double beds. All are equipped with a writing surface and, for valuables, a personal safe. There is also a bar fridge filled with beverages of the passengers' choice and room service is available 24 hours a day. The en-suite bathrooms offer hot showers, hair dryers and shaver plugs. The enormous Royal Suites are spacious and elegant, measuring +/-16 sq metres in size (+/-172 sq ft). Each has its own private lounge area and full bathroom with Victorian bath and separate shower. The Deluxe suites (+/-11 sq metres/+/- 118 sq feet) also accommodate two passengers in either twin or double beds and have a lounge area and en-suite bathroom with shower. A third level of accommodation, the Pullman suite is +/-7 square metres (+/-76 sq ft) in size and while it includes the identical bathroom to that of the deluxe suites, the bedroom is smaller with a one up one down bunk for twin requirements or a double bed for couples. During the day this can be converted into a comfortable couch. Evening attire is required when dining on the Rovos Rail and fine dining and superb wines can be enjoyed in a Victorian atmosphere.
Rovos Rail Activities
Activities on a Rovos Rail trip range from game drives in Hwange National Park, exploring Cape Town and the Winelands, visiting the Cheetah Conservation Fund in Namibia and gazing at Victoria Falls. Each train trip offers a range of included activities while on board.