Rovos Rail Copper Trail
Over the years the name Rovos Rail has become synonymous with elegant and luxurious train travel and exploring Southern Africa. Classic and regular train routes from Cape Town to Pretoria and on to Victoria Falls are joined with special train journeys that are run once or twice a year. Incredible routes lead to destinations like Dar Es Salaam and Etosha Pan National Park.
A new, incredible journey has just been released for 2022: The Rovos Rail Copper Trail. Departing from Victoria Falls, this amazing journey takes 15 days. Winding through Zambia, expect sunset cruises on the Kafue River, a Big 5 safari in South Luangwa, a tour of a working copper mine in the Democratic Republic of Congo and traverse the Benguela Railway to Angola’s coastline. The tour then comes back to Victoria Falls and is repeated in 2023.
Rovos Rail Copper Trail quick facts
- 15 DAYS to cover 3100km
- Victoria Falls to Lobito 07 – 21 July 2022 and 04 -18 July 2023
- Lobito to Victoria Falls 25 July – 08 August 2022 and 22 July – 05 August 2023.
- Current rates (Subject to confirmation):
- Pullman Suites: US$13 200 per person sharing (+$5865 Single Supplement)
- Deluxe Suites: US$17 500 per person sharing (+$7605 Single Supplement)
- Inclusions and exclusions:
- Rates one way per person sharing include: Accommodation; all meals; all beverages on board; room service; limited laundry service; excursions with a qualified guide (where applicable); entrance fees as per itinerary; on-board historian, hairstylist and doctor; government tax.
- Rates exclude: Off-train beverages; international/French Champagne; gratuities; personal expenses; visas; travel insurance; pre-and post-tour transfers, accommodation and flights.
- Included in off-train accommodation: Flights to/from South Luangwa; overnight bag; meals; standard bar drinks; game activities; laundry; park fees; government tax and levies.
- Excluded from off-train accommodation: Premium wines, Champagne and spirits; personal expenses.
Rovos Rail Copper Trail Itinerary
You will depart from Victoria Falls and cross over the legendary Victoria Falls Bridge into Zambia. From there you will meander your way north through Zambia, crossing the steel girder truss bridge that is the Kafue Railway Bridge, before stopping for a sunset cruise on the Kafue River. The next day you will stop for a visit to Lusaka’s Elephant Sanctuary. From there you will leave the train near Ndola for a 3 night trip into the Big 5 South Luangwa National Park, where the game viewing is incredible. Twice daily game drives, beautiful vistas and a warm welcome awaits you in South Luangwa.
After your safari, you will fly back to Ndola and board Rovos Rail to continue your journey northwards. You will then cross over the border into the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and a city tour of Lubumbashi. From there your train passes Luisha and Kolwezi, both mining towns in the copper belt of the DRC. At Kolwezi you will disembark for a tour of a working copper mine, home to some of the worlds largest copper and cobalt resources.
Enter Angola and the beautiful scenery of the area as you start the Benguela Line which will carry you to the coast and Lobito. The Benguela Line was started in 1903 with a plan to connect the port of Lobito with the copper belt in Zambia and DRC. It took until 1927 to reach the border of DRC and then connected to the Cape-to-Cairo railway and the south. The train runs along the Cassai River for a few hours where you can catch a glimpse of the local fishermen’s way of life. Learn about the recent history of Angola on a walking tour of Luena and Kuito and explore Huambo on a city tour. You will arrive in Lobito mid-morning for your onward travel.
This journey is available in reverse. There are flights from Angola’s capital city of Luanda to Lobito. You can connect to Luanda from Nairobi on Kenya Airways and from Europe – Paris, Frankfurt, Lisbon and London. Emirates and Qatar also fly this route.Contact us to Book Now