Situated on a peninsula on the beach, and surrounded by a cluster of islands, Butterfly House is the perfect option for a rustic yet luxurious beach holiday.
Butterfly House Highlights
The Butterfly House is enviably located some 200km south of Salvador da Bahia, along the Bahia coast on the sheltered bay of the MaraúPeninsula. Surrounded by an outlying cluster of islands makes it an idyllic destination for serene ocean based activities. It’s not a place that’s easily accessible, but it’s location is well-worth the journey.
Situated on the gleaming white sands of Marau beach, the casual and cool Butterfly House is neatly-packed between the bright blue ocean and Camamu Bay in an area flanked by palm trees and Atlantic forest.
In keeping with the wild and untamed coastal vegetation atmosphere, the Butterfly House decided to construct their 5 suites from a mix of bamboo and salvaged wood. Each of the 5 villas are on stilts and offer a bird’s-eye view of the rugged landscape.
Thatched roofs, private terraces and warm Moroccan style decor gives the Butterfly House such character - picture beachside Brazil meshed with bold Morocco. The 5 suites have air-conditioning, minibars and TVs - all you need to keep you comfortable in your cocoon.
The main lodge has a wooden deck that juts out onto the beach and is adorned with hammocks and deck chairs. Anna Banana restaurant is the on-site hideaway that serves unique meals and mouthwatering treats.
When you tire of eating and relaxing, you can always cool off in the swimming pool, freshwater lake behind the house or beach that’s on your doorstep.
- Proper rustic luxury paradise on the actual beach.
- Remote and wild location in Bahia.
- Snorkelling, diving, waterfall visits, whale watching and island hopping are par for the course at Butterfly House.
- Hammocks on the beach, suspended between coconut trees.
- Perfect little surfing wave and long expanse of beach.
- 2000 species of tropical fish found off of the peninsula.
- Visit Barra Grande, a relaxed fishing village with bars lined along sandy streets.
- Everything about Butterfly House screams “Island Vibe”.
- Bamboo huts on stilts, surrounded by coconut groves.
- The restaurant serves freshly caught seafood and incredible local fruits. We recommend the papaya and lobster salad !
- Quad bikes happen to be your mode of transportThe beach gazebo is the place to be for local Brazilian Caipirinhas.
- Bicycle rental available at Butterfly House.
- A complete celebration of nature.
Butterfly House Activities
The peninsula is surrounded by numerous islands with crystal clear waters ideal for a variety of species marine life. The most popular activity on this coast is diving and snorkelling.
2 000 species of fish, dolphins, turtles, manatees and whales normally frequent the waters. The most popular place for underwater activities is Taipu de Fora, an area known as being one of the most beautiful places in Bahia. Night diving is also popular in the natural pools of the area.
Do visit the waterfall where the MaraúRiver meets Camamu Bay - it’s a beautiful part of the world, and there’s also a restaurant at the waterfall.
Cycling and quad biking is the best way of getting around the coast. There are bicycles for hire from Butterfly House.
Private surf lessons can be booked directly at Butterfly House - there are plenty of surf spots along the coast. If you’d prefer a more chilled way of exploring the ocean, then take out one of the stand up paddle boards.