Located on the first dune on the western side of the dunes, Teufelskrallen Lodge is the perfect luxury oasis in the midst of the mysterious Kalahari.
Teufelskrallen Lodge Highlights
The Kalahari Desert is a remote and mysterious landscape that, for the most part, is a largely uncharted area of pristine wilderness. Sitting on a 4 000 hectares of remarkably beautiful desert landscape in Namibia is the Teufelskrallen Tented Lodge. Game drives showcase the magnificent - and famous - red sand dunes of the area, and introduce you to the wildlife of the region. Spot giraffe, oryx, pangolin, aardvark, kudu, mountain zebra and other wildlife that typically roams the arid landscapes of the enigmatic Kalahari desert.
Situated on the first Kalahari dune from the western side of Kalkrand, Teufelskrallen Tented Lodge offers accommodation in 6 luxury tents on stilts, each with their own private observation balcony. Views extend all the way across the camel thorn trees dotting the desert terrain to the sand dunes in the distance.
The main area is located 3 km from from the luxury tented units. Main areas have a restaurant, perfectly stocked bar area and swimming pool. This is the central point of the lodge and is a welcome oasis in the thick of the desert.
Activities include game drives, sundowner sessions and visits to the Devil’s Claw protection site.
- When out on game drives you’ll get up close to the 30 metre iconic red sand dunes.
- Sundowner drives introduce you to the dramatic scenes of Namibia. There is nothing more stark and enigmatic than a Kalahari sunset.
- Each of the tented suites are completely luxurious and built from a mix of canvas, wood and glass.
- Game drives, sundowner drives, hiking and mountain biking are a few of the activities on offer.
- A unique stay on the first and westernmost dune in the Kalahari.
- Meals are served in the well-appointed main area.
- An easily accessible destination for self-drivers - no 4x4s are needed.
- The “Protection of the Devil’s Claw site”is an area dedicated to the conservation of a rare plant that has healing properties for rheumatic and arthritic diseases.
Teufelskrallen Lodge Activities
Leisurely game drives take place in both the morning and afternoon, and provide plenty of scope for spotting local mammals. Pangolin, porcupine, warthog and aardvark live in and around the reserve; while further afield oryx, kudu, giraffe, steenbok, Burchell's zebra, nyala, blesbok, springbok, impala, and an array of birdlife can be spotted.
There’s also an option to climb the 30m high red sand dunes - solely for the energetic crowd! The lodge’s sundowner drives are an idyllic way to end the day. The dramatic landscapesare only enhanced by the exceptional beauty of the bold orange sunsets draping over the wilderness below.
Keen trappers will be pleased to know that there are hiking options available in the Kalahari. You can choose your own route or opt for an educational, guided hike with distances ranging from 5 - 20 km. If hiking’s not your thing, then take to the original bike trails on the reserve - there are 2 mountain bikes available at the lodge.
The Devil Claw’s Site is a protected area worth visiting. Guides will teach you all about the healing properties of this rare plant that has recently been declared an endangered plant species.
Goibib Mountain Lodge
This comfortable and well appointed lodge offers the perfect location for guests who wish to explore the magnificent beauty of Southern Namibia including; the Fish River Canyon, Quiver Tree Forest, Giants Playground or Brukaros Volcanic Crater.