Sun City is a man-made land of fun and adventure, a place that provides an escape and appeals to our child-like sense of fun. This epicentre of entertainment is located in the North-West province and is within close proximity to the big five Pilanesberg National Park, making it an ideal family combination holiday destination.
Sun City defines itself as “A World Within a City” and certainly lives up to its namesake. It should probably rebrand to “Fun City”! Sun City certainly has plenty on the go when it comes to entertainment. The resort is home to the famous ancient land of the man-made Indiana Jones Lost City, opulent hotels resembling palaces, a Gary Player designed golf course, a wave pool and entertainment centre.
There are plenty of accommodation options available to suit a variety of budgets. Options include the Cabanas, Cascades, The Palace, Soho, Sun Vacation Club and the Chalets. While you’re staying at your choice of accommodation you’re bound to want to experience all the activities at Sun City.
Here is your comprehensive list of activities and things to do at Sun City:
Valley of the Waves
This is the perfect place to unwind. There are restaurants, cocktail bars and perfectly constructed beaches laden with sun loungers. There are a number of adrenalin-inducing waterslides for the adventurous, and there’s also a wave pool. The entire Valley of the Waves is designed around an Indiana Jones jungle theme. Even the rides are wild and untamed. The Mamba Slide, Viper Slide, and the 70 metre Temple of Courage are just a few of the water slides to be enjoyed.
Lost City Entertainment Centre is linked to the Valley of the Waves by a thundering “Bridge of Time”. This bridge is guarded by elephant statues and a mock-volcano erupts at various intervals, providing quite a theatrical experience. There are sway bridges, massive gorges with walks, and a complete valley of outdoor fun waiting to be explored.
Day visitors will need to pay a fee, but guests staying at the Sun City hotels have free access.
Eating and Drinking
There are a number of restaurants at Sun City, and you will be spoilt for choice. Coupled with that, each of the hotels has its own unique restaurant set-up and individual bar areas.
Soho restaurant has the Harlequin’s Cocktail Bar which has a bohemian, yet glitzy bar area designed with roulette wheels. The Cabanas has a pool bar and the Treasure Island Snack Bar. The Palace has a swanky Tusk Bar and Lounge which is fit for Royalty, and at the Valley of the Waves, there is the picturesque Observatory Bar overlooking the valley.
In terms of restaurants, Sun City caters for a variety of palates. The below restaurants are just a few of the places from which to choose :
- Gary Player Country Club
- The Brew Monkey at the Valley of the Waves. This place has its own microbrewery.
- The Shebeen is a must-do. It’s a typically South African style restaurant where you are encouraged to dine and drink the South African way. Here you will find plenty of local delicacies.
- Franchises serving comfort food such as Mugg and Bean, Ocean Basket, Nandos, Spur, Wimpy and RocoMamas are readily available.
- Fine dining happens at the Plume and Crystal Court in the five stars Lost City Palace.
- Restaurants unique to Sun City offering spectacular views include the Crocodile Lounge and Bocado (mini-island vibe holiday).
Sun City Casino
Experience the legendary glitz and glamour of the Sun City Casino. Opened in 1979, Sun City Casino has evolved with the times and implements the latest technology with its games. Experience slot machines, table games and a whole lot more.
Sun Central is the main shopping area and has a range of shops for a variety of budgets. If retail therapy is your passion, and you’re looking to purchase a few local curios, then head to Out of Africa for a few trinkets.
Activities at Sun City and its Immediate Surrounds
- Game drives in the big 5 Pilanesberg Nature Reserve.
- Visit the South African Hall of Fame to learn about local sporting heroes and celebrities. This is an interactive experience where visitors can try their hand at sports. See how fast you are compared to top athletes or test your golf swing at the indoor golf area.
- Golf at your choice of two world-class golf courses – Sun City is a premier golfing destination. The courses are Gary Player designed courses.
- Entertainment at Sun City and the Valley of the waves (see above).
- Sedgeway tours
- The “Chimp & Zee” swing. This swing glides across the Valley of the Waves as part of an adventure course.
- For guests interested in the cultural side of South Africa, there is the Leeto-Kgolo village tour. This is where visitors can explore the traditions of the local Battle people on a bicycle tour. A few favourite hotspots are included in the tour.
- Adrenalin Adventure activities at Sun City include the accelerator (giant human catapult), a tactical shooting game, drift trikes, 4×4 quad bikes, and hovercrafts.
There are plenty of things to do at the glamorous Sun City Resort – we trust you’ll have a spectacular time in the land of entertainment.